Monday, January 7, 2008

Feast or famine

As I just posted over on James Nicoll's LJ:
Right now on the "slated for magazine reviews" list I have thirteen April titles, three May, and no June. At the very least we should have more April books than that, and I have no idea where all the late spring/early summer titles are.
By December 7th, we had sent out 23 March titles for review, so it's kind of nuts to only have 13 April titles out on January 7th. Those three May books were sent to reviewers on 11/30, 11/30, and 12/17, so we certainly should have gotten several more May titles and at least one or two June titles by now. I guess everyone's taking extra care with their big summer releases this year.

In the meantime, I get to decide whether to put shorter drops (five or six books) in our first two February issues in case this is a real drought, or to bulk them up (eight books) on the expectation of a late-month flood. Fortunately I don't have to decide that for certain until next week, as right now I'm working on wedging every possible March book into our last January issue. Too bad I can't hold some of those over another week or two.